Wednesday, June 2, 2010

SOOO Tired

I'm exhausted and it's not getting any better. I've read (or am reading) just about every baby sleep book there is on the market and now I'm more confused than ever. And extremely jealous of those mamas whose babies sleep peacefully through the night. Somehow the thought never crossed my mind that Jackson wouldn't be sleeping through the night by now. Or at least more than a two hour stretch. Things were so good while I was on maternity leave that I kind of figured it would only get better (i.e. he would go from 5 hours at a stretch to 6-7). Nope, not this baby. We're still up every 45 minutes to 2 hours around the clock. He naps for an hour max at a time during the day and is up constantly during the night. Unfortunately all of the books I'm reading offer a different explanation for why he won't sleep. What am I supposed to do? Does a four month old still need to eat at night? Will I cause him psychological harm if I let him cry it out (as one Harvard study states)? All I know is that I need some sleep. Pronto.

2 comments:

Sara White said...

I'm personally a fan of crying it out! Also, you may not like this answer but have you tried giving him a bottle of formula at nght? When Maecyn nursed, she was up every 45 min-2 hours all night. SHe got sick and I put her on soy formula and the FIRST night....she slept 7 hours. I know you are nursing him(kudos) but maybe that formula would fill him up more and make him sleep longer?!

Jack & Lucy said...

I was actually considering that and you know what? I think I'm going to try it tonight! I have all those free samples just sitting in his closet so I might as well give it a shot! Thanks Sara! :)

Post a Comment