Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Sleep Update

Things have gotten better. Not perfect, but better. I've given up on the formula, the crying-it-out, and the multitudes of other tricks each sleep book I've read has suggested. I'm doing what works for us right now and so far it's working. He's still being swaddled and yes, I am aware that eventually he'll have to sleep without one. We've upgraded to the "Woombie," which is basically a straight-jacket for babies (although it's more comfortable than that). He was breaking out of his velcro swaddles throughou the night which was causing him to wake up constantly. His first time in the Woombie was last night and he didn't break out once. Success! Basically our night looks like this- down for bed between 6:30-7:00pm, dream feed at 9:30pm, up at 3:00am to eat, and up for the day at 6:00am. Like I said, not perfect but very doable. The one take away I've learned from this is that I need to accept Jackson for who he is and not who I want him to be. Yes, I want 8 hours of continuous sleep at night, but he's just not ready for that yet. I'm tired of comparing him to other babies who are sleeping and feeling like a failure as a mother because he's not. Guess what? Someday he will sleep through the night and all of this will be a distant memory. Until then I'll drink my three cups of coffee every morning and enjoy Jackson for the individual he is.

0 comments:

Post a Comment