Sunday, July 11, 2010

I Love Being a SAHM (temporarily at least)

I've been soo blessed to only have to work seven weeks of Jackson's life so far and I can't tell you how much I love being home with him. The life of a SAHM (stay-at-home-mom) isn't always sweetness and light, but it's a heck of a lot easier than that of a working mommy. When I had to work those seven weeks it was hell on Earth. I rushed to get ready in the morning, rushed through my work day at a mile-a-minute pace (which included pumping milk three times at the speed of light), rushed to pick Jackson up, rushed to get dinner on the table, and rushed to get the bed, just to start all over the next day. My life as a stay-at-home-mommy is definitely a lot different and A LOT more relaxed. Here's a typical day:
4:30am- Jackson wakes up to be nursed. Put him back down after he's fed to play in his crib and sleep for another two hours.
6:30am- Awake for the day. Lounge in bed for an hour or so and drink coffee and "chat." My husband is a teacher so he usually hangs out with us and we all cuddle.
7:30am- Up for the day and go downstairs for breakfast and more coffee. Check on the chickens and let the dogs out to go potty. Make the Internet rounds.
8:30am- Jackson goes down for his first nap and I catch up on some chores/blogging/crafts.
10:30am- Jackson up for nap and he eats some solids- usually oatmeal and a fruit.
11:00am- Play and read books in the playroom while listening to music.
12:00pm- Lunch.
12:30pm- Jackson takes his second nap (usually in my arms) and I read a book or blog.
2:30pm- Up from nap to go run errands or meet up with mommy friends.
4:30pm- Arrive home to start dinner.
5:00pm- Eat dinner (Jackson too- oatmeal and a veggie this time).
5:30pm- Jackson gets a bath.
6:00pm- Hang out and relax together/more cuddling.
6:30pm- Jackson down for the night.
6:35pm- Mommy has a glass of wine! Catch up on blogs I read and clean up the house.
10:30pm- Nurse Jackson and go to bed!

Hmm, which day would you prefer? Me? Definitely the SAHM version. Alas, I must return to work in one week. At least with the new job I'm starting I get the opportunity to work at home (after three months of training). I have high hopes for the flexibility this will bring but these hopes are tempered by the realization that "the grass is always greener on the other side." Everything looks easier until you're in the midst of it and I know this job will be no different, but I'm really hoping that I'll be able to achieve that elusive balance I seem to always be searching for. The ability to manage my home, be the perfect mommy, and a stellar wife. I'll seriously miss these carefree days but they were awesome while they lasted!

0 comments:

Post a Comment